Saturday, September 18, 2010

Address: Warwick Castle

Dear Readers,
I'm thinking that there won't be too many times in my life when I can say that I was exploring a 900 year-old castle. Warwick Castle was built in 1068 by William the Conqueror and was subsequently passed down through the eras as a home to many "Earls of Warwick" and as temporary lodging for guests such as Henry VII.
The castle was about an hour from where we are staying so we spent a good part of the day exploring it, climbing endless/tiny staircases, and taking lots of pictures. My abundant imagination juices were pumping all day as I thought about wandering through those halls in an excellent ball gown, being attended by servants and introduced to duchesses. I can't even describe to you how incredible it feels to walk around in the same rooms that royal persons did hundreds of years ago. Everything is so well preserved that you'd think the castle was built far more recently. Moral of the story: They don't build things like they used to!

Most Sincerely,
Her Royal Highness the Countess of Warwick

PS. The castle grounds included a Peacock Garden which, contrary to what you might believe, does not mean that peacock-shaped flowers burst into bloom here or that the garden is very proud. No, it's an actual garden full of the living, breathing (and very vocal) bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment