Thursday, November 25, 2010

Address: Salisbury


After Stonehenge, we went to Salisbury for the rest of the day. Salisbury is a quaint town (though that word could be used to describe many towns here) and home to the Mompesson (sp?) House which was part of the set in the movie for "Sense and Sensibility." Of course, being the nerd that I am, I adore Jane Austin and was eager to mosey around the house and look at all the artifacts from that time period. We were also lucky enough to come to Salisbury on a day when the street fair was happening. There were sellers with fresh donuts and scones and all sorts of handmade items. I seized the opportunity to try Pumpkin soup....which was actually fairly delicious.
The best part of the day was seeing the Salisbury Cathedral, which was the largest one I have seen so far. It was so beautiful, I could have stayed for awhile. Our main objective was to see one of the 4 original copies of the Magna Carta, but sadly that display was closed for the day.

Why can't churches be this beautiful in the States?
Amanda

PS. I may not have seen the Magna Carta, but I did see several tombs of VIPs from long ago, check out my pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment